What do I do?

There are days that I look around and wonder what the heck I did all day. There are clothes waiting to be washed, still more waiting to be folded and put away. There are dishes that need washing, sweeping to be done, editing that needs to be looked at. Emails are piled up, as well as bills and other correspondence that I have not looked at yet, and don’t even get me started on the rest of the stuff that needs doing. It seems there just aren’t enough hours in the day to get it all done…but then I think other people do it, maybe I’m doing something wrong; so I decided to chronicle what I do on a random day, and here it is:

I was up late the night before, so when I woke up, I dragged myself out after a few hours of sleep, took my meds and vitamins. I sat at the computer contemplating life while checking emails in 4 out of the 8 email boxes. I answered the necessary ones and deleted the rest. While I was at the computer, I checked on the sales  for a book that I’m currently promoting, then promoted it more to all my social networking sites: Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Linkedin, etc.

I then gave a disdainful look at the nearly 10 loads of laundry that are clean but not folded, wishing that they would fold themselves. I swept the office, then responded to query letters I received. Some I said yes, and others I said no. I checked in with my editor and looked at a new book I’m supposed to start editing, plus the one after that. While my brain was in business mode, I checked out other ways to try to make my business more visible without going completely broke, and believe I have found a few. I then forwarded queries and talked to a very capable and wonderful helper (thank you Michelle!) about things that I need to look into and tried to get up to speed with her. I checked the numbers again (and again), and received the edits back on a book I’m currently in the process of editing, then contacted the artist to see about changes we were thinking of for the book we are working on.

Somewhere in between that and my regular 40 hour per week job, I spent a bit of time with my husband and son. I am so very happy to work from home because, during my breaks and lunch, I folded clothes and continued strategizing ways of making my business successful. I worked some extra hours, which is not altogether unusual, and when I got off work, I helped my husband with his college homework, and took the garbage. In the end, I had 2 loads of laundry that showed any efforts toward organization and a puzzled look on my face as to where my day went…

This entry was posted in Aurelia, Publishing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply